DayDreamer

DayDreamer

“It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.” ― Oscar Wilde

Charmed and Dangerous: Ten Tales of Gay Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy
Andrea Speed, Rhys Ford, Charlie Cochet, K.J. Charles, Jordan L. Hawk, Lou Harper, Astrid Amara, Nicole Kimberling, Ginn Hale, Jordan Castillo Price
The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
Wilhelm Grimm, Jacob Grimm, Joseph Campbell, Josef Scharl, Margaret Raine Hunt, Padraic Colum, James Stern
Die Rivalinnen. Adaptiert
Fulcrum
beren
Wear It Like A Crown
zarah5
Men at Arms - Terry Pratchett Quotes. Spoiler-tagged just in case they're spoilery. I'm terrible at seeing what is and what isn't a spoiler.The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that’d still be keeping his feet dry in ten years’ time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.This was the Captain Samuel Vimes “Boots” theory of socioeconomic unfairness.**“Oh, well. How are you, Sam? Did you go to see Havelock?”Vimes nodded. Never in his life, he thought, would he get used to the idea of the Patrician of Ankh-Morpork having a first name, or that anyone could ever know him well enough to call him by it.**Doesn’t he ever sleep? thought Vimes. Doesn’t the bloody man ever get his head down? Isn’t there a room somewhere with a black dressing gown hanging on the door?He knocked on the door of the Oblong Office.“Ah, captain,” said the Patrician, looking up from his paperwork. “You were commendably quick.”“Was I?”“You got my message?” said Lord Vetinari.“No, sir. I’ve been… occupied.**The Patrician heard him thump the wall outside. Vimes wasn’t aware, but there were a number of barely perceptible dents in the wall outside the Oblong Office, their depths corresponding to his emotional state at the time.By the sound of it, this one would need the services of a plasterer.Lord Vetinari permitted himself a smile, although there was no humor in it.The city operated. It was a self-regulating college of Guilds linked by the inexorable laws of mutual self-interest, and it worked. On average. By and large. Overall. Normally.The last thing you needed was some Watchman blundering around upsetting things, like a loose… a loose… a loose siege catapult.Normally.Vimes seemed in a suitable emotional state. With any luck, the orders would have the desired effect…**There’s a limit to the power of a spring, no matter how tightly one winds it.”“Oh, yes. Yes. And you hope that if you wind a spring one way, all its energies will unwind the other way. And sometimes you have to wind the spring as tight as it will go,” said Vetinari, “and pray it doesn’t break.”His expression changed.“Oh dear,” he said.“Pardon?” said Leonard.“He didn’t thump the wall. I may have gone too far.”**“Then I must have put it down somewhere. I’m sure I couldn’t say where, sir.”“My word, I hope you absent-mindedly put it down somewhere safe.”“I’m sure it’s…well guarded, sir.”“I think you’ve learned a lot from Cap—Commander Vimes, captain.”“Sir. My father always said I was a quick learner, sir.”